Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Back to the Fatherland Part II

So I'm all officially moved in to my apartment in Bamberg, all kinds of exciting things are going on, and in true Susi fashion it's time to update you on the happenings of two weeks ago!

The scene: Anorie and Rudi's house! The stairs are slippery, the food is awesome, the excursions are many. Seriously though, if you're planning to be an exchange student for a semester, find your nearest godparent(s) and your life will be a million times easier and more enjoyable. This has been TRAVEL TIPS WITH SUSI.

So the first day I did my traditional walk around and take pictures thing, not knowing that it would be the last time I saw a blue sky for a week!


Isn't it...beautiful?

Most of this week consisted of getting important things done (like getting a cell phone and a train card) and sightseeing with Anorie. Guess which one I'm going to tell you about!
Because hearing about how you have to go to the eye doctor to get contact solution is boring! All told, Anorie and I took day trips to Mainz, Wiesbaden, and Frankfurt. What did we do there? For those of you who know Anorie, the answer is miraculously not shopping!


We drank classy hot chocolates,


looked at ridiculous churches,

saw windows designed by Chagall,

also a volcano (actually another egg-water fountain. Mm.),


and the world's largest cuckoo clock.

Mostly, though, we (I) just marveled at the mutant trees that grew in all three of these cities!On the home front, I got a tour of the new bike shop, packed to the brim with two-wheelers of every imaginable sort. They even had one of those sick 1800s-style big-wheel-in-fronters (not pictured)!


I also went out in Mainz with Vivi and a friend of hers, the first in what turned out to be a trend of drinking with former babysitters. Hi Mom!

Another cool thing I got to do was see Anorie's cousin's house, which is an incredibly old, incredibly German colossus. The guy who gave us the grand tour showed me pictures of what the house looked like before they began remodeling, and the only phrase that sprang (springed?) to mind was "health, fire, safety, and every other hazard conceivable." Amazingly, they turned it into something that would put the rest of Better Homes and Gardens to shame. Seriously, every little corner was stuffed with interesting things to look at, but stuffed tastefully, if you can imagine that. I really should have taken more pictures of this insane house, but people really do live there and it felt like an invasion of privacy? Oh, well, here's what I do have:



Imagine that sort of thing, everywhere. For an entire house. Guys, it was really great. And after the tour we were forcefully invited for Kaffee und Kuchen with some other sort of relatives. It was wonderful, of course. I think I've eaten more cake in these two weeks than I did in all of 2009. Improvement!

My last day with Anorie was spent at an Osterfest and Vivi's apartment, checking out wedding stuff! I'm pretty sure some of it is secret, so I'll just keep those pictures to myself. Here's one I know is ok, though, and you have to try to imagine Nevine's reaction to hearing she's supposed to wear it:


Next time: actually in Bamberg! Latvians and grown-up duties! Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Tell Nevine that I think it's a fashion statement! And hug Anorie for me. She's the best Godmother ever!
    Where was her cousin's house?
    Hi Susi :)
    mama

    ReplyDelete